Thursday, May 19, 2016

I think that blogs could be a very handy way for wilderness guides to inform others about their adventures.  It could be a forest ranger letting the public know about their findings or a camp counselor letting parents know what the campers are up to.  It would be a great way to share stories of the trail!

If I decided to teach as a naturalist in a more traditional classroom a blog would be a fun way to let the public know about what my students are learning about.  This could be a way to get people from all over involved in the organization I would be working for.

I could see myself using the timeline to describe life cycles of plants or animals.

I could see myself using the VOKI as a way for all the staff members to introduce themselves to the students.  It could be posted on the organization's website for anyone to see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill!
    Well, how cool is it that you have your own blog? It was really fun to see how you have used a blog in the past and I also appreciate you applying this tool to your setting in environmental ed. I follow Wolf Ridge and Camp Miller on Facebook and I agree that having a way to let the public know about what is going on, what you are finding, phenology, events, etc. is a great use of these tools. The Voki and Timetoast are a bit more of a stretch for you since your students won't be sitting at computers much. It is ok to acknowledge when a tool is not a good fit for your setting. It might be something you use in a presentation of your creation, but I can say with a certain amount of certainty that it would not be a good fit for your students to use, Get them outside!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill!
    Well, how cool is it that you have your own blog? It was really fun to see how you have used a blog in the past and I also appreciate you applying this tool to your setting in environmental ed. I follow Wolf Ridge and Camp Miller on Facebook and I agree that having a way to let the public know about what is going on, what you are finding, phenology, events, etc. is a great use of these tools. The Voki and Timetoast are a bit more of a stretch for you since your students won't be sitting at computers much. It is ok to acknowledge when a tool is not a good fit for your setting. It might be something you use in a presentation of your creation, but I can say with a certain amount of certainty that it would not be a good fit for your students to use, Get them outside!! :-)

    ReplyDelete