This past week we had the opportunity to visit a men’s correctional facility in Prairie Du Chein Wisconsin. I was surprised at myself that I wasn’t even really nervous at all. Throughout the visit I kept thinking about a book I read last spring called “In the Sanctuary of the Outcasts” by Neil White. It is a story about a man that goes to a prison that doubles as the last leprosy sanatorium. The book goes through his story and his life in prison and how it changed him. Being in the prison and singing for those men was so much fun. At first they did not show much interest while we were singing but they clapped so hard after each song. Gradually as the program went on they started showing more interest during the songs. I guess what blew me away the most was how grateful they each were when it was time to go. Each one came up to us and shook our hands and wished us good luck and God’s blessing on our journey. You could tell by looking in their eyes that they were genuinely grateful. It was such a great reminder that those serving time in correctional facilities are people also, and have the same wants and needs as me.
No comments:
Post a Comment